Estimated reading time 3 minutes 3 Min

Toll Cap Relief Grows as 58 Suburbs Surpass $1 Million in Claims

Motorists across New South Wales are increasingly turning to the Minns Labor Government's $60 weekly toll cap, with more than 50 suburbs now surpassing $1 million in total cashback claims. The scheme, introduced in January 2024, continues to provide cost-of-living relief as households face ongoing financial pressure.

May 6, 2026
6 May 2026

Motorists across New South Wales are increasingly turning to the Minns Labor Government's $60 weekly toll cap, with more than 50 suburbs now surpassing $1 million in total cashback claims.

The scheme, introduced in January 2024, continues to provide cost-of-living relief as households face ongoing financial pressure. To date, more than 862,000 claims have been lodged, returning over $284 million to drivers.

In 2026 alone, an additional $10 million has been claimed compared to the same period last year, with 9,225 more motorists accessing the toll relief.

A total of 58 suburbs have now exceeded $1 million in claims. Recent additions include Mount Druitt, Bella Vista, Coogee, Austral, Kings Langley, Oakhurst, Macquarie Park, South Wentworthville and Box Hill.

Several suburbs have gone even further, with Carlingford, West Pennant Hills, Punchbowl, Greystanes, Bankstown, Kellyville, Lakemba, Quakers Hill, Marsden Park and Castle Hill each recording more than $2 million in claims. Blacktown, Auburn, Baulkham Hills and Merrylands have all exceeded $4 million.

In Blacktown, more than 12,000 claims have been processed, averaging $398 per claim, while Auburn drivers have received an average of $674.

The data highlights strong uptake in Western Sydney, where toll costs place significant strain on household budgets. Suburbs such as Marsden Park, Quakers Hill, Bankstown, Kellyville, Punchbowl, Lakemba, Glenwood, Parramatta, Seven Hills and Schofields are among the top areas benefiting from the scheme.

More than $100 million in toll relief remains unclaimed for the 2025 calendar year.

The NSW Government says the toll cap has become an important support measure in a city widely regarded as one of the most tolled in the world, particularly impacting drivers in Western Sydney.

Looking ahead, the government plans to introduce two-way tolling on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel when the Western Harbour Tunnel opens in late 2028. The move aims to address longstanding disparities, as most motorway users already pay tolls in both directions, while harbour crossings have historically been one-way and did not increase between 2009 and 2023.

Motorists are encouraged to check their eligibility through Service NSW and submit claims for recent travel.

Premier Chris Minns said the scheme provides vital financial relief as families manage rising living costs, including interest rates and fuel prices.

Transport Minister John Graham said the growing number of high-claim suburbs demonstrates that the program is reaching communities that need it most.

Customer Service Minister Jihad Dib urged regular toll road users to check their eligibility and claim, while Roads Minister Jenny Aitchison said the now-permanent cap offers motorists greater certainty and protection from large toll bills.

More Top Stories