Estimated reading time 3 minutes 3 Min

Sydney Metro probity investigation referred to police and integrity agencies

A major contractor involved in the Western Sydney Airport Metro project has been removed following a wide-ranging probity investigation into subcontracting and labour supply practices, with the findings now referred to police and multiple integrity agencies.

 

May 10, 2026
10 May 2026

A major contractor involved in the Western Sydney Airport Metro project has been removed following a wide-ranging probity investigation into subcontracting and labour supply practices, with the findings now referred to police and multiple integrity agencies.

The NSW Government has also issued a Ministerial Direction to the independent board of Sydney Metro, mandating stricter oversight and compliance checks for all future subcontracting arrangements before any project claims are settled.

The investigation was launched by Sydney Metro in September 2025 after media reports raised concerns about possible criminal conduct and workplace breaches linked to the airport rail project.

The inquiry, led by Max Kimber SC under the terms of the project contract, examined the activities of Future Form Civil Pty Ltd and several downstream subcontractors engaged on the project.

The report identified a range of serious concerns, including suspected worker underpayments, possible tax fraud and inadequate insurance arrangements.

Future Form had been contracted by Webuild from July 2024 under four separate agreements covering formwork, reinforcing, concrete pouring and labour hire services. Investigators found the company sourced labour through subcontractors that were allegedly neither disclosed nor approved as required under contractual arrangements.

According to the report, the complex web of subcontracting meant Future Form could not adequately track who was working on site, the duties being performed or the wages being paid. Investigators also found the company was unable to properly verify details linked to invoices worth more than $10 million.

Evidence gathered during the investigation included allegations that at least one worker was instructed to accept cash payments on site before receiving funds via bank transfer from an unidentified subcontractor. Text messages reportedly directed the worker to claim he was employed directly by Future Form.

The report also referenced communications suggesting other workers may have been receiving social welfare benefits while simultaneously being paid cash for work performed on the project.

Further concerns were raised over several labour hire companies allegedly established within days of each other at the same residential address, sharing identical directors and secretaries. Investigators found invoices and supporting documents were exchanged via the encrypted messaging app Signal, where messages were later automatically deleted.

Potential insurance fraud was also identified, with discrepancies allegedly discovered between payroll records and declarations made to iCare.

Mr Kimber noted that several individuals connected to subcontracting companies refused to cooperate with the investigation.

The confidential report has now been referred to a range of agencies with powers to compel evidence and witness testimony, including NSW Police, the NSW Crime Commission, the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the Fair Work Ombudsman, the Australian Tax Office and Revenue NSW.

As the operating company on the project, Parklife Metro has since removed Future Form and all associated downstream contractors from the Western Sydney Airport Metro works.

Transport Minister John Graham said the government would not tolerate misconduct on major infrastructure projects, describing the findings as deeply concerning.

He said the report would now be handed to agencies with the authority to fully investigate the allegations and criticised the former Liberal-National Government's reliance on public-private partnership models for major projects.

Treasurer Daniel Mookhey said the public expected all companies working on taxpayer-funded infrastructure projects to comply with the law, regardless of whether they were head contractors or subcontractors.

He said the NSW Government would continue to act whenever questionable behaviour emerged across the state's $130 billion infrastructure pipeline.

More Top Stories