BEIRUT (AP) – Syrian, U.S. and Jordanian officials said Tuesday they would work together toward a permanent ceasefire in a southern Syrian region wracked by deadly sectarian clashes last month that threatened the country’s fragile transition in the wake of its yearslong civil war.
Syria, US and Jordan say they will work toward a lasting truce in wake of Syrian sectarian clashes
BEIRUT (AP) – Syrian, U.S. and Jordanian officials said Tuesday they would work together toward a permanent ceasefire in a southern Syrian region wracked by deadly sectarian clashes last month that threatened the country’s fragile transition in the wake of its yearslong civil war.
The announcement came after three-way talks, held in the Jordanian capital of Amman, seeking ways to support post-war reconstruction efforts of Syria’s new authorities.
The discussions between U.S. special envoy Tom Barrack and Syrian and Jordanian foreign ministers, Asaad al-Shibani and Ayman Safadi, were the second such meeting, following talks held in July.
The first round focused on a ceasefire that ended days of clashes in the southern Sweida province between government forces and local Bedouin tribesmen on one side, and fighters from the country’s Druze minority on the other.